CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I understand that this is Tuesday morning but I feel like this is my first chance to write about a busy weekend.
Following training on Friday, Hannah and I had to go get our Illinois drivers license. We've had several tests during training but I think the written test for our drivers' license stressed us out the most. We hadn't really thought about having to take one so it scared us a little. But, we both passed and are now officially residents of Illinois. (Which by the way, means Barack Obama is now our Senator.) We also opened our banking accounts here Friday afternoon, which is always important!
Hannah's cousin Owen was married on Saturday in nearby Wheaton, so Hannah's parents drove into the area Friday evening. They actually drove our Durango up to us which we are very thankful for. We met them for dinner at their hotel and visited for a while. While at the hotel, we were just getting on the elevator when an elderly African American gentleman walked on. He was all dressed up with a baseball cap on. When he stepped on, he held out a baseball card in a protective cover and asked me if I had ever seen the man on it. It was a baseball card of himself! His name is Joe B. Scott and he was the first African American to ever play in a game at Wrigley Field. I spoke for just a few moments on the ride up and when I got ready to step off of the elevator I started to hand him the card back, he just shook his head and told me to keep it. He had already signed it before he gave it to me. Pretty cool!
Saturday morning we met Hannah's parents for breakfast, did some outlet mall shopping, and then brought them to Mooseheart for a quick tour before heading to Owen and Hillary's wedding.
Sunday was our first anniversary! I can't believe it's been a year already! I've heard that the first year is sometimes rough and that makes a lot of sense that it would be. But, I've got to say, there has been nothing hard about spending the last year of my life with my beautiful wife, Hannah. She is an amazing wife and I feel like the luckiest man in the world! I thank God for her!
We revisited Orchard Valley Community Church again Sunday and I think ruled it out as an option for us. This church shopping thing is tougher than I realized.
Well, need to head to training!

-Randy-

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Don't forget about Dick Durbin :-)

SentimentsbyDenise said...

Thanks for the update!
I think the first year of marriage was the easiest one for Ed & I because by our 2nd anniversary we were parents (very new ones!) and it became more challenging after that.
So glad that you are doing well. I pray for you two daily and we miss you in our class, definitely!

Take care!
Denise

Carignan Gallery said...

What a crazy story about the baseball guy! I miss you two so much and I love keeping updated on your lives through your blog. 1 year down and the rest of your lives to go! love you both!

Steph

Anonymous said...

Church shopping is no fun!